Thursday, January 17, 2008

Eczema and Dermatitis

I'm going to tell you a little story about my sisters eczema. She had a pretty bad case of it on her hands. They were split open and bleeding. She went to numerous doctors, but all of the creams and pills they gave her had little or no effect. So being the experimental type I started treating her hands with different herbs and remedies. I then thought that maybe her eczema was caused by nerves. I started her on 5-htp and low and behold her hands cleared up. There was not one sore or any sign of broken skin on her hands. She swears by 5-htp, and takes it religiously every day.

3 comments:

JesieBlogJourney said...

I was told that eczema is due to hard water. But I have not done any research on it.

healthnut said...

Maybe part of that is true, because when my sister would do dishes a lot her hand would get worse. She hasn't had any more problems since she has been on the 5-htp. All I know is that when she doesn't take 5-htp for a few days her hand break out and get sore again.

Heather said...

I think eczema would worsen under repeated hard water exposure, but I don't think this would necessarily be the cause of it. Hard water tends to strip your skin of its natural oils and is therefore much more harsh and would probably cause existing eczema to be more prevalent.